Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coal conveyors

Status
Not open for further replies.

athomas236

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to determine the maximum angle at which a coal conveyor can be inclined.

Regards
athomas236

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of conveyor, belt? If it is a belt conveyor normally it is around 17 degrees. But if you really needd to raise the coal just have it dump into a bucket conveyor. The change it back to a belt conveyor.

If it is a straight belt conveyor a normal figure is about 17 degrees. Any steeper than that and you need to start adding cleats to the belt to prevend the materail from slipping.

Sincerely yours,
Leslie H. Howell

lesliehowell@howellconsulting.com

athomas236,

90 degrees is not an incline. The term incline would be any degree less than 90 degree. Any product moving on any belt conveyor will move. This normally happens because of inconsitancy in the belt path (ie. pulleys, sliders). The reason why we make belt conveyors into a radius shape to start with is to stop the product from moving off of the sides and onto the floor.

I have been engineering various machines and custom conveyors for the past 35 years. Some of the conveyors I have engineered were double retractable head conveyors. You can retract one or both ends while the conveyor is running. Very usefull in filling operations, instead of dumping the material in the center of the transport device.

I also taught engineering and calculas 1 & 2 at ASU for two years (I had a lot of fun).

email me your specks and I will tell you what to do.

Sincerely yours,
Leslie H. Howell

lesliehowell@howellconsulting.com

Does the specific gravity of the coal have any effect on the maximum incline angle of the coal conveyor? The coal on our conveyor has an SG of 0.8 to 0.9.

Regards

Bruce

I used to told it does, but let me put it to you in the same way an old designer in coal told me "kid forget that crap, for all practical purposes just use the typical formula that I gave you and quit asking me all those questions". Well I waited a couple of days and ask why ( I just couldn't leave it alone). He said that because the coal changes from day to day because of more or less moisture being brouoght in with the coal. Since that day I have engineered and designed a ton of different conveyors and they all worked great. In many cases I was considdered a real hero, but what they didn't know is I did the same thing the old guy did. I always took a sample of the product and placed it on piece of the belt that they wanted to use and tilted it to look for the effect. Coal and corn flakes appeared to react the same way. Anything much over 17 degrees on an incline and the product just slipped on the belt too much, especially the newere poly-ras-a-mataze coated belts.

Thanks for the common sense advise. The more sophisticated our analysis and design tools become, the more we tend to ignore rational thought and common sense. I too had some mentors who were driven crazy by my questions.

BF

Hi,

I just joined the club this week, so I don't know if your question is still valid.
We have 6 concrete silo's with a capacity of 7000 tonnes each,that we fill with a conveyorbels.
The inclination of the belt is 18°, beltspeed is 4.5 m/s, belt is 1800 mm wide.
With wet coal, or heavy rain we have sometimes problems with material slip.
I'm 55 and slill asking and learning.

regards
Harry

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your comments. The plant we have is at a power station in Poland. In the winter the coal gets very wet (up to 22% water) and we have experienced some slippage on the belts that slope at an angle of 17 degrees.

athomas236

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back