Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coal Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brf007

Structural
Sep 5, 2001
NZ
Anyone got any data on the friction angle of raw coal. I'm designing a coal bunker wall for a cement works.

I'm assuming 35 degrees, conservatively. Maybe 40 degrees??

Would appreciate some comment.

Thanks in anticipation

Bruce Forbes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest that you get more information on the actual coal that will be used at this plant. How will the coal be handled and stored before it gets to the bunker? How long will coal reside in the bunker? What about frozen coal, maximum lump size, blending of different coals, etc.? What about liner panels or coatings?

Plugging and rat holing in coal bunkers can provide operational nightmares and coal properties can vary significantly. I'd want to get as much practical information as possible rather than relying on generic guesses.

I had the same problem some years ago , my company needed to supply a 55 cube round glassfibre reinforced polyester silo to a waste water treatment plant company , for their water regeneration process.

We didn't have any experience with their special coal material , and they specified us to take a silo wall inclination of 70° for our silo.

The silo was supplied and worked well. I must say that a polyester glasfibre reinforced silo has a very smooth internal surface shape , and that we foresaw a compressed air injection nozzles system inside the conical part of the silo , just in case , to be able to create a fluid bed internally if confronted with bridge forming and all the other crap that occurs with unknown powder bulk products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back