Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

coating for caustic storage tanks/pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuig

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2002
GB

Hello all,

Just a quick one I feel. I'm designing a caustic scrubber and I would some info on suitable coatings that's typically used to protect metals any other materials against caustic corrosion.

Thanking you in advance..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forget about coatings (except for painting the exterior), only use compatible materials. Visit some scrubbers. You will see white deposits evrywhere -- caustic wicks through valve stems, up tank walls, from pipes, etc. It absorbs CO2 from air, then dries and becomes abrasive. Make everything so it can be hosed down periodically.

I have seen caustic scrubbers with up to 60 HP fans and every one was PVC or FRP for body and tanks. PVC pumps, piping, valves and nozzles. Except, cast iron drive pumps for really large units.

In the metal finishing business, mild steel tanks are used for hot caustic solutions. I think the traditional reason for not using sheet steel for scrubbers was that the caustic would eat through the paint, and when cleaned, rust. Maybe a contributing factor is that commercial caustic soda contains pretty much (0.5% NaCl). However, with better paints nowadays, a good epoxy paint should work.

304 SS is usually used for fasteners. Expensive stuff like Ti works great, too.

Don't even think about using non-ferrous Al, Cu, Mg, Zn or alloys thereof (including galvanize) anywhere. Massive corrosion.

If you don't have a good corrosion book, all of the pump manufacturers have chemical compatability charts. There is a decent one in the back of the Grainger catalog, and Harrington Plastics has one on-line but with less data:

Dear all,

FRP is my prefered option for tankage and storage. PVC for pipes.

Thanks for all the really helpful links.

nuig,
What convinced you to use FRP/PVC? Any technical data from vendors/manufacturers to support your decision that is available for others to reference?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back