Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coating of tin on brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harini Krishna

Electrical
Jan 7, 2020
IN
Hi,
We are planning to have tin coating on brass dine plates and bowls.
Could you suggest what showed be the thickness of the tin coating so that it doesn't wear off for an year .
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thankyou IRstuff.
Can you suggest some other material other than tin ?

We want to have a coating because placing eatables like curd/pickle are not recommended to be placed on brass.

I would encourage research on "food grade materials". Ample material is available online. Depending on where you are in the world, food-grade materials may be regulated by force of law. Do not take short-cuts.

Tin plated copper cookware is still popular. I don't see a safety issue with the tin. It is, however, quite soft and will get scratched up quickly if used with utensils. It may also react with metal utensils and give a metallic taste.

I think tin metal is pretty safe for people. Organotins are not. I suppose one could use zinc as well, though it is also soft and certainly won't be shiny.

From the link:

Public Health Statement for Tin said:
Because inorganic tin compounds usually enter and leave your body rapidly after you breathe or eat them, they do not usually cause harmful effects. However, humans who swallowed large amounts of inorganic tin in research studies suffered stomachaches, anemia, and liver and kidney problems. Studies with inorganic tin in animals have shown similar effects to those observed in humans. There is no evidence that inorganic tin compounds affect reproductive functions, produce birth defects, or cause genetic changes. Inorganic tin compounds are not known to cause cancer.

So maybe don't eat the plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back