Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Code Changes (Canada) - Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I design connections for metal fabricators, and often have Guards a couple of times a week with different base connections; for one particular type this is applicable. This is an eMail I sent to my client about new changes in the National Building Code:

You may want to advise our clients that there is a significant change to the Manitoba Building Code with respect to Guards. The old code required loads to be applied in both directions, inward and outward. The new code recognises that outward forces are more likely and has reduced the requirement so that inward forces may be 50% of the outward force.

This can have an impact on the design of fasteners at the base of Guards. There is not a need that position of fasteners should by symmetric. The fastener location can be raised to provide a greater moment resistance for outward forces. This has been implemented on a recent project. The edge distance of 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" reflects this. This can reduce anchorage requirements.

Clipboard01_deqcvq.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back