Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfd23

Structural
Nov 9, 2007
CA
Hi All,

I would like to get your opinion on previous code and current code application;

A Industrial complex was built as per IBC 200x in 200x. I am not providing specific details. Owner engineer pointed out many deficiencies and code non-compliance during construction. Owner and EOR did not pay much attention to these deficiencies. Project was almost completed (99%), a failure happened.
Project was stopped never went to operation. During investigation many code non compliance were found. Now Owner decided to fix all these deficiencies.
These are mainly seismic, wind load and steel code non-compliance. As per new code-2015 seismic and wind loads are updated (increased) in new code-IBCC-2015;ASCE-7-10, AISC-360-10

Big question is which code should be followed in this case to upgrade structure to address these code deficiencies. It should be 2015 or 200x. Jurisdiction has already adopted IBCC-2015.

I really appreciate all of yours feedback.

Thanks
RA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd vote for the current adopted code. The designers apparently didn't pay any attention to the code that was adopted, so they lost their chance at that.
Plus you have the advantage that it will reduce the quibbling. Everyone should be happy with the latest and greatest.

"Jurisdiction has already adopted IBCC-2015"

If the building wasn't ever occupied or given a certificate of occupancy, then it seems you'd have to update the whole of the building to 2015.

If the building was occupied after completion (under the 200x code) then your improvements might be construed as "maintenance" and in many jurisdictions you are given a limit where you can improve/renovate a building up to a certain percentage of its cost (i.e. I've seen 20% used) where you don't have to upgrade to the new code.

However, the "new stuff" you design should be per the current code. You just don't have to bring all the existing stuff up to code.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

If the permit is still open, it may be possible to use the original code. If not, it may be worth contacting the jurisdiction to see what they will require.

Thanks for one for your feed back. I have same opinion as JAE. I am not sure about the permit
is still open or not. I will check with authorities.
Thanks

It is possible to have items can't be "fixed" after the fact.
For example, if the code specifies full-time weld inspection, and it wasn't done, you can go back and examine and test that weld all day long after the fact, but you can't make that inspection happen when it just didn't.
If you were not the original designer, but are now the designer, you may have similar issues come up on the engineering end of it.
Anyway, try to find out what kind of certifications, inspections, etc. are required; if there's anything that can't be certified or inspected properly after the fact, come up with a solution agreeable to all prior to starting work on it.
I am reminded of the building in Las Vegas that was demolished a while back due to such issues.

JAE's got the correct method. Some jurisdictions have a renovation part to the code, Ontario, Canada has a Part 11, for example. As long as occupancy has been issued, any building over 5 years old qualifies for renovation and no requirement to comply with the current code is dictated. Renovation, in general, requires that the proposed changes/alterations improve what was existing. This is a simplification, but is essentially the case. A lot of the discretionary actions of the Building Official are codified.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back