Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

code for toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonmugua

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2009
if there is a window in the toilet, it is not necessary to have an exhaust fan?Is there any code saying that?

I checked the Ashrae 62.1. it only says the minimum exhaust rate.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a residential job? I seem to remember in the residential building codes that bathrooms with operable windows need not have mechanical exhaust systems in order to satisfy this requirement. I'll check my code books later to verify--may not be an acceptable alternative for new construction. Either way you'll have to check your local building/mechanical codes.

I think it's the opposite; a window is not required if there is a fan (applies to residential). Check Table 403.3 in the Int'l Mech Code.

let me try it again, there is an existing toilet with a window. Is a exhaust fan required if there is a window?

the total area of the building is 800 m^2. Therefore, it is an application of residential building.

First off, I take exception to your use of the word "therefore". The size of the building doesn't determine whether it's residential or not, does it?

Secondly, we can't give you a "required" or "not required" answer because what is code is ultimatley left to the authority administering the building-permit process in your area. What is the code that applies at your location for starters?

Thirdly, again I think it depends on whether your doing something new here or simply trying to determine whether something existing is up to code. Unless you're renovating or something, sometimes the existing stuff will be grandfathered. In the IRC (2000 edition, section 303.3) amd UMC/UBC 2000 edition, section 1203.3), an openable window min 1/20th of floor area and 1.5 sq ft min would suffice--OR you could have an exhaust fan (I'll not elaborate on the fan requirements since it's academic at this point).

If I were designing a new facility today in my area, I would use that IMC Table 403.3 (which is incorporated into my current enforceable state mechancial code, 2006 edition) as the other responders mentioned and put in an exhaust fan/system with a 50 CFM intermittent or 20 CFM continuous capacity (assuming the occupancy is classified as a private dwelling).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back