Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

code requirement for leak testing of steam heat trace pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlona

Industrial
Jun 1, 2010
US
Does anyone know of the code requirement (if any) for leak testing of steam heat trace piping?
I have a 6" #6oil pipeline (800ft) that I am heat tracing with 1" sch80 steel pipe. Normal operating pressure in the winter would be around 20psig. If the regulator fails the steam pipe could see 80psig. ASME B31.1 seems to imply it does but not sure if this is the applicable code. Thank-you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B31.1 would seem the right code and I'm not sure why you're trying not to do it. A simple air test with soapy water will be enough to show leaks

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

We are going to test but were looking to see if we can use the steam as the medium (at 1.5 x MOWP) since we can easily regulate up to our test pressure. B31.1 only allows for water or air. We can test with air no problem. Thank-yo

I believe that you can use steam (although water is safest and air is safer as recognized by the B31.1 code). I would consider the following two code sections and consideration that this could be an Initial Service Test.

137.3.2 Nonboiler External Piping. All nonboiler external piping shall be hydrostatically tested in accordance with para. 137.4. As an alternative, when specified by the owner, the piping may be leak tested in accordance with para. 137.5, 137.6, or 137.7. Lines open to the atmosphere, such as vents or drains downstream of the last shutoff valve, need not be tested

137.7.1 When specified by the owner, an initial service test and examination is acceptable when other types of tests are not practical or when leak tightness is demonstrable due to the nature of the service. One example is piping where shut-offvalves are not available for isolating a line and where temporary closures are impractical. Others may be systems where during the course of checking out of pumps, compressors, or other equipment, ample opportunity is afforded for examination for leakage prior to full scale operation. An initial service test is not applicable to boiler external piping

**Based on usage I would say this is "Equipment" and subject to controls of nonboiler external piping per B31.1

Jeff
Pipe Stress/Structural Engineer

I dont see why this would fall under B31.1. The OP mentioned a 6" oil pipeline (though I think he meant piping system). If it really is a pipeline, it's B31.4 or B31.8. Just because it has steam going through it, doesnt make it power piping.
The steam tracing could possibly be outside the scope of B31.3, but Id have to check my copy to see if that's possible. Design pressure and temperature would be known to determine so.

Nevertheless, I'd want to test this system for safety reasons, even if there are no Code requirements. Think of the personnel working around that system in case of any failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back