Not open for further replies.

mahmmoud30

Chemical
Aug 6, 2009
SD
Hi all
I am a little bit confused about these two terms:
1. codes (e.g vessels design codes)
2. standards (e.g vessels design standards)
so plz can somebody explain more!!
thanks alot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of us are a bit confused with these terms. I too would like to see a really good authoritative response.

Within the USA some agencies may treat either codes or standards as law. Some responders will differentiate recommended practices from standards. However, many recommended standards are treated as legal requirements within certain domains. For example, API RP 14C is a legal requirement offshore and generally does not apply onshore.

For example, each state may elect whether or not certain standards are legal requirements. Also, for fire codes you will hear the term "authority having jurisdiction" such as the local fire department. I used to hear that Oklahoma was not a code state when discussing the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code pertaining to block valves under safety relief valves on steam drums. However, in the event of a disaster, OSHA would likely fine a company if a blocked relief valve caused a failure.

One additional point is that contracts may specify certain codes or standards as project requirements. Even then some engineers include a sequence of precedents such as requirements of this specification are higher requirements than company general standards and industry standards. Again, if OSHA regards failure to comply with the industry standard then the specification sequence is moot.

There use to be a link on the ASME site that list which states have adopted the ASME VIII standards for pressure vessels.

Code means you have no choice but to use that standard or practice.

Standard means a set of practices that if followed will yield the same results.

OSHA has for the most part in process stuff very little perscriptive/code standards that must be used. Individuals must state what standard they will use and follow it. If you do not follow the standard to the letter and there is an accident, then the offesive becomes more serious.

If you adopt API 570 as you piping MI, then you must follow it to the letter. API saya that you can't follow it to the letter unless they certify you. So a pipe fails and your uncertified inspector didn't follow the RP570???

The best solution is to take standards and reright what you will do and then reference that you used the published standard as basis for your new standard, OSHA can't argue then.

Texas is not a "code" state and Oklahoma is not a code state unless the pressure vessle is within so many feet of a the public.

I don't believe that there is much difference between the terms "Code" and "Standard". The terms may conjure different meanings in different people's minds, but both basically contain a set of standard requirements, usually to ensure safe design.

Either can be adopted into law or regulatory requirements. ASME call their pressure vessel bible a "Code", but similar requirements in Europe are provided in a "Standard" (EN 13445), as in Australia (AS 1210). Interestingly the Australian Standard in its preface states that it was referred to as the "SAA Unfired Pressure Vessels Code" in a superseded edition. PD 5500 used to be a British Standard, but is now a "Published Document" so as not to provide any conflict with the European adopted EN 13445.

Cheers,
John

Most people I know who spend a lot of their life involved in dealing with, interpreting, and otherwise studying them, have a pretty consistent definition in their minds when they use the terms.

A Code is a requirement, where a Standard is good practice, or suggested guidance. A Standard may be adopted as Code by an authority, therefore in that jurisdiction, it is a Code, but the reference source of the code is a Standard. ASME does not write codes. Neither does ASTM, API, NFPA, etc. In the US, OSHA writes codes for the country (the jurisdiction). I don't know really what the legal situation was with the agency that wrote the BS (British Standards), so I don't know that these terms were similarly applied. BS are no longer the "code", as those are now done by IEC or other international agency.

However, in the US, any Code may be excepted (the owner may take exception to it), as long as the owner is willing to 1) accept the consequences, and 2) has a paper trail documenting it's acknowledgment of the exception, and why (perhaps based on extensive history and data, for instance, or another means of assuring safety and performance).

Sorry cheute, I don't agree. Both codes and standards can contain mandatory and non-mandatory requirements. Whether adopted into law, or just specified in a procurement contract, mandatory requirements are not there for guidance. As I pointed out, some standards organisations refer to some documents as "codes", whereas other organisations refer to the equivalent documents as "standards".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back