Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Codes or Nomenclature for Stainless Steel???? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddkm

Chemical
Nov 9, 2005
MY
I know most of you here refer to the UNS codes, but my suppliers normally use a different nomenclature. Examples are 1.4408, 1.4571, 1.4581 etc. Where can I get a full listing or table which describes ALL these nomenclature and match it back to UNS or whatever else codes available in the market today? Thanks.

---engineering your life---

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Soon some of the regulars will be on to tell you the best sites for these conversions. I admire these people.
The really maddenning part is that there are organizations, such as ASTM and many others, who consider their knowledge as a for-profit business instead of as a service. I pay a small number of dollars out of my own pocket each month to make this site viable. Do you get how little I think of people who try to sell knowledge which should be shared freely? This may make some members angry, but I think publishers shouldn't be the rate limiting step in knowledge transmission.

Michael McGuire

I share your thoughts and frustrations at knowledge sharing which is not the sacrosanct property of an individual or a society. It is meant for the community at large. But look at it from their perspective ,they have set up facilities to collate and diseminate such restricted info. Their revenue model is based on such income. It becomes all the more necessary for them to collect charges for the services offered.

It become very difficult to use these paid servicesin India as we are not allowed to charge cards for International transactions and sending a cheque is expensive and time consuming. Owners in possession of such data become all the more powerful .

Hi, Mike. I just discovered your blogsite a little earlier, prior to my question here. I did leave a similar question in your comments box. I asked whether your upcoming book will have this list of standardised nomenclature. I admit I haven't had the opportunity to read through your blog yet, though.

What's even more maddening to me, is how I can't find freely available info for what is essentially an ancient topic - standardized nomenclature for SS or even other mtrls for that matter.

The Key to steel (Stahlschlussel) is a good source.
One htat I even like better is the latest edition of the UNS.
It is published by ASTM (DS-561 is the 10th ed) and in the back of it there are extensive cross ref. for grades and specs.
If you work with metals and need to specify alloys you should own the UNS.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent over the last 2 years looking for info on stainless steel. I have found that this site and suppliers info is the best for information.

If you are just looking for info then is good for basic information.

More detailed info but on fewer grades is available at - I think this site was supplied by a member of this forum.

might also help.

But I am also looking forward to seeing the release of the book.

Ed,

Can you explain what DS-651 is?

ASTM E 527 is the basic UNS document from ASTM International.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

DS-651 is the document number that you would use when ordering. I forget how the title is cataloged (Metals and Alloys in the Unified Numbering System is the whole thing).

You can also by it through SAE as doc number HS-1086/2004

E527 describes the ogranization of UNS numbers. There is a copy of it in the book.

Rust never sleeps

Thanks for the many links, guys. So far, I'm going through the one provided by Mac and this one appears to be rather useful. I found that I could have the cross-referencing (between codes) by using the search function. Obviously, this is a slight pain, but at least the info seems to be available.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how comprehensive it really is.

I'll keep scouring the links to see if I can find the ultimate solution - i.e. a Table!

ddkm,

Matweb is for a rudimentary comparison between standards. You will find other posts on this site dealing with questions like yours. The consensus has been that books dealing with UNS (like those mentioned by Ed above), Stahlschlussel, and the Worldwide Equivalent book from ASM International are your best sources. And, that this is not a trivial endeavor, but one that takes a lot of time and effort.

Regards,

Cory

I went to the above site and got the following review of the book:

"Standards referenced include ACI, AFNOR, AISI, AMS, ASTM, BS, CSA, EN, GOST, ISO, JIS, JUS, KS, MIL, PN, SAE, SFS, STAS, UNS, EURONORM, and many more!"

I think the codes I'm using (like 1.4408, 1.4571 etc) are DIN based, which is surprisingly absent from the statement above.

The entire book is based upon DIN Werkstoffnummern, with cross references to the other standards organizations. I can't explain why that isn't in the description, but I can guarantee that it uses the DIN numbers as the basis for the book.

Regards,

Cory

The entire issue is largely one of protecting 'turf' and restricting trade.
DIN was suppposed to go away, and all EU countries were to use EN. And the EN agreeded to start listing UNS numbers (since they are a member).
As of now the person assigning UNS numbers for stainless grades is an American.
At least ASTM and AISI have quit creating nonsense names for grades. They use the common name if it is not a TM, if it is then the UNS is used.
Yes, it is a pain in the butt.

Rust never sleeps

One minor source is the little booklet "Metals and Alloys" which may be obtained free of charge from Rolled Alloys, It includes such EN or W.Nr. as the author could find, along with UNS, tradename and nominal chemistries.
Ah, the author retired recently but Rolled Alloys should still have a good supply of those little books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back