Coding equipment in a plant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

myango

Chemical
Aug 1, 2005
KE
hi,
i am young engineer and needs to know how to code equipment in a plant for maintenance and inventory purposes .the plant has a water treatment plant, cooling towers ,distillery, loading bay, yeast plant ,waste water treatmnet and raw material storage. how do you start it and what is the standard way of doing it since i am getting confused . My boss has given be these job and no one had ever done it .thanks alot

Dickens K. Seroney (B. Tech in Chem and process eng.)Moi,Kenya
Planning and development engineer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You just start and maintain a database (it could be on paper, but computers make it easier to use) keyed on some arbitrary machine identifier, e.g. a big number tag riveted to the machine, comprising a description of what the unit is, who made it, its serial numbers, record(s) of any irregular maintenance peformed on it, record(s) of any regular maintenance performed, ticklers for regular or planned maintenance. In this case, you'd also want to record how big the unit is, both dimensions and capacity wise, what fluids it normally carries, any electrical requirements, part numbers and sourcing info for commonly used repair parts like seals and gaskets, and anything else that comes to mind while you are methodically plodding around recording data. In line with that, I'd also throw in some digital photos of the equipment, a record of when it was purchased, how much it cost, how long it's expected to last, too.

Even if you never finish, it's a pretty good way to get familiar with the plant. That may have been the actual intent.

I'm sure there are commercial programs sold for this purpose, but a homemade spreadsheet could do a satisfactory job of it, too, and will teach you more.

Oh. Yeah. Eventually, you should be able to answer manager type questions like how much it would cost to replace everything, what equipment will need regular maintenance in the next month, what parts will be required as a minimum for that maintenance, how much it really costs to keep each machine from year to year, whether there is an upward trend in failure rate for some equipment or department, stuff like that.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

A widely adaptable system is,

Area:System:Equipment-ItemNumber/Unit
Pump Station 1 = PS1, Storage Plant = SP, Compressor station = CS
Hydrocarbon Drain = HD, Firewater = FW, Multiproduct = MP
Equipment, Pump = P, Tank = T, Heat Exchanger = X, Block Valve = BV, Check Valve = BC, Control Valve = CV
Item Number 1 = 001
Parallel units are, A, B, C

Pump Station 1, FireWater System, Pump#1, Unit B
PS1:FW:p-001/B

Once you have this, it can be indexed to spare parts lists, repair orders, inspection schedules so you can do all the other good things that Mike mentions above.

Going the Big Inch! [worm]

hi,
I am encouraged by your comments, since am now convinced that I had an idea. I had adopted these;

1.I coded each plant a number e.g. water treatment as 1
2.All equipment has been given a symbol e.g. a centrifugal /dynamic pump, while a displacement pumps as PD.
3.The fist centrifugal pump in water treatment is coded 01
4.Finally, first centrifugal pump in water treatment is coded 1-PC-01.

If distillery is coded 5 then the first displacement pump in this plant will be 5-PD-01. Would all agree with me? Thanks

Are there any existing numbers shown on P&IDs or PFDs? Are you going to edit the existing documents to reflect the new numbers?

Also, see thread378-162352

There existing PID and PFD s are there though since they are of different plants they are also differentin style hence I have to come up with an overall one. Thanks

I work on a power station which uses the KKS labelling system(Kraftwerk-Kennzeichen-System). This is a European standard which means the numbering is consistent across many plants, eg. the boiler feed pump on my plant will in theory have the same identifier as one in Germany. This way everyone understands what the item is without the need for local knowledge of the specific coding system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back