Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coding System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lis

Marine/Ocean
Oct 23, 2002
GB
I am not sure if I am in the right place to be posting this message, so I apologise if I'm not!

I have completed an apprenticeship in marine engineering and have further experience in welding in a manufacturing environment. I have been told by my senior officers that we carry no 'coded welders' on board our ships and, consequently when we require certain jobs to be done (such as tank welding, ship side welds and pressure vessel repairs) we have to contract somebody to come on board and carry out repairs. So, I am hoping to gain the necessary qualifications to enable myself, and other engineers on board who qualify, to carry out such jobs ourselves.

Basically, I am looking for information on the coding system and how you become a 'coded welder'.

I hope somebody here can help me or at least point me in the right direction!!

Many thanks,

Lisa.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

although i am not a marine engineer, i have taught machine tool and welding courses at a maritme college for the last 16 years. the american welding society[AWS] sets standards to which welding procedures are written. by the way, AWS was created by the ABS for this reason.
most weld repairs on board for tanks,boilers,and piping are done under the auspices of the ASME codes[you know, the cloverleaf stamp]. ABS has a few specs also for bulkheads,penetrations etc.
to the best of my knowledge there are no Coast Guard regs under which welding on board falls. the closest thing are the STCW specs, which are very rudimentary. since you have prior knowledge of welding procedures, my recommendation would be to seek out schools such as Lincoln, and Hobart
Welding Institute. they have excellent courses at a reasonable price. a one or two week course at their facilities would far exceed any welding course offered by the maritime schools.

Liz,
I presume your ship is classed with a class society, ABS, DNV etc.
In order to be able to carry our welding on board you would have be certified by that class society.
Further, youshould beable to furnish the class surveyer a welding procedure for the particular welding process involved. All but monor repairs / emergency will have to be inspected and approved by the class surveyor. Depending on the repait this may involve a fit up inpspection and post weld inspection, in some cases weld testing may also be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back