Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

coefficient of thermal expansion of AISI 415 steel (welding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paypes

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2006
CA
Hi,
help please!!!!!
I try to simulate the welding of martensitic steel AISI 415 (stainless steel). I need the curves of the thermal expansion coefficient of this steel according to the temperature. I do not find these data nowhere. Can somebody say to me where I can find information about this steel or about a similar steel?
Thank’s in advance.
Barha

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The values should be listed in ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code, Section II, Part D.

You can find the mean CTE for three different temp. ranges
for the martensitic stainless steels 410, 414 and 416 at page 435 of ASM Handbook vol. 6.

They are: Mean CTE from 0C to (x10 exp-6/K)
UNS 100 C 315 C 538 C
410 S41000 9.9 11.4 11.6

414 S41400 10.4 11.0 12.1

416 S41600 9.9 11.0 11.6

Hoping this helps,

Thank you guys for your help but I forgot to mention you that I need the curves of variation of the thermal coefficient of expansion AT THE TIME OF WELDING. The values in the source that you gave me WELDER and the values that you gave me GOAHEAD Are valid only for a slow heating OR slow cooling.
At the time of welding, very high speeds of heating and cooling generate two curves (in hystereses) of this coefficient due to the phase transformation. So that, for the same temperature we’ve got two values of CTE according to whether we are in the heating or cooling phase. Those are the values that I need.
Israelkk, may be 416 also!!
Regards
Barha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back