Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coeficient of subgrade modulus variation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zliazmei

Structural
Feb 5, 2002
AE
Hi All,

Please can somebody provide me a tabulated values of relationship between Relative density of Soil and Coeficient of subgrade Modulus Variation. Both Terzagi And Reese relationships will be verry helpfull.

Thanks

Zmei

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do a word search on modulus of subgrade reaction in this site. There has been a lot of discussions in this regard. Warning: Focht3 absolutely against Bowles tabulated values (from my recollection). [cheers]

[hammer]
Boy, are you ever right on this one, BigH!

What are you planning to do with the values of modulus of subgrade reaction once you have "them"? (There's more than one...)

[pacman]

Hi: If I have the soil study of a site and they give me the allowable soil bearing pressure of the soil to be 3 kcf. What is the Subgrade modulus of reaction of the soil? Hope anyone can help me.

Carmen

In practice do you use Bowles suggestions for the subgrade modulus of reaction, ks equal to: ks = 12*Factor of Safety*Allowable Bearing Capacity????????
ks=12*FS*qa

Centeno

Nope. I use the elastic modulus appropriate for the likely soil strain magnitude (about 0.1% for spread footings, strip footings and mats) and calculate the settlement for the assumed loads on the soil. And I use a Gibson-type variation of elastic modulus with depth, i.e.

E[sub]y[/sub] = E[sub]0[/sub] + (k * z)

Values for E[sub]0[/sub] and k are chosen based on local experience, with guidance from the following paper: "Initial Response of Foundations on Stiff Clay", by C.E. Williams and J.A. Focht, III. (1982) ASCE Fall Meeting, New Orleans.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

ASCE had copies for sale - you might check with ASCE's Publications department - 800-548-ASCE is the main number. Inquire about Preprint 82-531. Also have the reference I gave on 7-24-03 in case they ask.

The preprints sold for $2.00 at the Convention. I have no idea what they would charge now -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back