Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cogs and shapes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedwin

Electrical
Aug 4, 2003
SE
I feel the need to design a module or two of a cogwheel.

While I have seen many a nice picture on the net, I haven't come across a good description of how to actually design a cog tooth.

My aim is a standard metrical spur cogwheel.

This problem has bested even "Karl Bjorks lilla gula"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am surprised that no one has pointed to towards purchasing a Machinery's Handbook. There's ~120 pages devoted specifically to gear design.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

The internet is vast and I searched for :
cog, cogs, cogwheels, gear, spur, and a few others. Yet another set of Swedish words too.

As you may be able to figure out, I came up with nothing. Much to my surprise.

Yes I would like to buy the suggested book and more. I bet "Karlebo handbok" (Swedish machinists cult handbook) would contain the information as well, but it cost an arm and a leg. But there is a limit to my use of that sort of information.

So I am grateful for the help I have gotten.

Mike, sorry. Sometimes I can't see the forest because of the trees. [peace]

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks a lot! Very informative.

Those teeth are made according to the system used in the US only. But the information is indeed very good.

Some links which might help you:

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back