Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cohesive Zone Modelling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KostasNik

Aerospace
Mar 28, 2016
GR
Hello,

I use Patran/Nastran 2014 and I am trying to create a 2D DCB model for delamination analysis using Cohesive zone elements. The adherents are of the same isotropic material. When I create the 2D solid properties I use Plain Strain, Standard Formulation for the adherents and Plain Strain, Interface for the adhesive. The problem is that the .bdf file created contains PSHELL properties instead of PLPLANE as I whould expect it to. However the model gives results (Implict Nonlinear analysis, 100steps). Is there any reason that this is happening?

In detail:
1. For the adherents
Object: 2D
Type: 2D solid
Plane Strain
Standerd Formulation
As material the isotropic material previously created
Plane of Deformation: Coord 0
Output Locations: Gauss
Nonlinear Formulation: Automatic

2. For the Adhesive
Object: 2D
Type: 2D solid
Plane Strain
Interface
As material the cohesive material previously created
Interface Integration Scheme: Gauss
Output Locations: Gauss
Stiffness Matrix Scheme: Secant
Thickness: 1 **

**The thickness of the Cohesive zone in the geometry of the model is 0.15mm. Should I leave the space blank, fill in 0.15 or 1 as default value? Also what is a credible thickness value for this type of modelling? Is the vertical translation of the nodes above the lower adherent, in order to create a zero thickness of the CZM, a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back