Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coin Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltron

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2005
US
Hey, Guys. This is more of a curiosity than an actual question. A lot of the time when I make a design and create a rendered image I like to put the object in a somewhat "real world" setting (place it in a room, on a table, etc.). As such, I use models of other objects to give it scale (lamps, computers, tools, etc.). However, sometimes the items that I design are small, and therefore hard to give a sense of scale without losing detail and definition on the model. I've used rulers, keys, hardware, etc. to show scale on some of them, but that's getting tiresome which brings me to my question: is it taboo to make a model of a coin? If it isn't, does anyone know where I can get some?

I completely understand if making or distributing such a model is verboten due to obvious reasons, but I'm just getting a little bored with the other items that I use for scale.

Let me know what you think.

Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why don't you make your items like what you listed above and save them as Library parts so they can be reused again and again without you having to remake them. Some goes for a Coin.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I'd just draw a coin if you want a coin to be honest, I dont really see much wrong about that.

Bouke Brouwers
M-Des
The Netherlands.

Scott,

I have all of my items saved as components in my design library. I certainly don't waste time recreating them. What I was saying is that I'm just a little bored with some of the things that I have in there, and I wasn't sure if modelling coins was impermissable since I haven't been able to find then anywhere.

Dan

To my knowledge it's not illegal to photograph and display money so I can't see that modelling a coin would be illegal.

If the rendered image is good enough, you probably wouldn't even know if it was a model or not.

[cheers]

That's the idear...If I'm going to take the time to model them, I don't want them to look like cartoon money. I don't know how I'm going to get the portraits to look realistic, though. I'm sure I'll figure it out...with a little help from my friends;)

Dan

Photograph a real coin and use the image as a decal or texture?

Have real coins 3D scanned to create the models?

Use a bitmap to vector conversion program on a photo of a coin and use the result to create the model.

[cheers]

Perfect! Sounds good, Guys. Although, if it's a coin out of my pocket, it will be corroded beyond recognition and stuck to a paperclip with a tic-tac and some combination of pocket lint and dog hair. Does anyone have a pocket lint model?!?

Dan

Wouldn;t it be easier to only model the "tail" side?

This made me think though, I'm now gonna model a Euro to use with my product pictures, bye bye match good old match and pencil ;)

Bouke Brouwers
M-Des
The Netherlands.

I think The Treasury Dept. might have something to say about you making a 3D model any currency.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

I once made a model of a pound coin it was used in advertising documents for the treasury
It wasn’t an exact replica I changed the wording round the edge but you had to look close to see the difference
I can’t see the treasury having a problem with something that looks like a coin as it will only exist as an image

I did this and use the quarter often.

type quarter into google images. use that image as a decal. Create a circular pattern of a cut around the outer edge to make the ridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back