Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Form Shapes - Field Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibuf23

Structural
Oct 4, 2011
US
Hello folks,

In a few day's I will be heading into the field to get measurements for a custom fabricated cold form long-span roof joist (fabricated sometime in the 1950's). The shapes of the top and bottom cord are a bit odd. In keeping with the nomenclature of the current ANSI Cold-Formed Steel Design Manual I would describe the cord members as unequal angles with unequal lips.

Anyway, thought this would be a good opportunity to ask if anyone has some innovative techniques for getting easy, yet accurate measurements (particularly for shapes with bends). Otherwise I plan on heading out with our usual tool kit: measuring tape, micrometer, straight edge...

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some ideas.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I usually use digital/dial gauge vernier calipers because of the 'wide' opening... typically can measure 6" dimensions and can measure to 0.001, usually. That and a tape or laser distance device.

Dik

I would add a radius gauge and a weld fillet gauge to your tool kit. I also have a decent digital camera in mine, but I consider that optional.

Yep - dik and Fegen have it about right. Also add a plain tape measure for the bigger dimensions.

Lots of good pictures always help and you can even photo your measurments as you take them!!

Thanks for the comments guys,

Typically others in my office bring tape, caliper/ micrometer, magnetic level, camera of course (gotta love cell phones with built in cameras/ flash light apps). The radius gauge is a great suggestion, I know it would be used frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back