Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cold formed steel joists c.1970 hotel construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHTPE

Structural
Jun 11, 2008
US
I am evaluating an existing 3-story hotel for structural modifications. The existing floors consist of a 3.5-4.0" slab on corrugated decking (5/8") supported by what appear to be steels joists. The joists are very similar to metal studs with oval openings in the webs. The profile is a "C" section with returns on the flanges. Hoping to find someone who might have some data on this product. This is typical hotel construction with CMU bearing walls at 12' spacing, spanned by these joists, topped with the metal deck on top of which was cast a concrete slab. The goal is to replace 2 of the walls with steel sections provide an open space of renovated kitchen and dining space. Pics to follow as soon as I off-load them from my camera.
-
These joists/studs are 6" deep, 1-5/8" flange & 0.085" thick material.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like steel stud sections. Probably nothing special about them. I've used them for joists before. How deep are they? I'd expect them to work fine with a span as short as 12'.

I stand by my previous comment. The frequency of the web openings seems a little high, but not problematic. Interesting that the second one doesn't have any web openings. Looks like back to back stud sections.

MarinoWare or Clark Dietrich might be able to give you a good idea. You're probably going to need a micrometer to get the thickness.
I do like how there's a hole coincident with the end connection. Very good for shear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back