Cold Formed Steel Wall System - Diaphragm Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsu0512

Structural
Aug 1, 2017
CA
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help in determining the diaphragm strength of cold-formed steel frame with a steel sheet (not corrugated).

The frame is 7m width and 3m tall that comes with one opening.

Specifically, I need to verify if the system works when the fixed anchor is placed at the corner of each frame.

I've checked the bottom beam's weak axis bending based on simply supported beam of 7m span with linearly distributed dead load and it doesn't meet the deflection criteria.

I believe the frame can be considered as a diaphragm to resist the dead load.

I'd appreciate for some help from someone about if there is any reference that i can refer to in calculating the diaphragm of the wall to verify the in-plane deflection and bending of the wall when the fixed anchoring is placed at the corner of the frame.

I'd really appreciate for your help on this.

Thank you

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9c8e9aab-79fd-4405-92b8-eab353b12086&file=CFS_Wall_1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is any way that shear wall works with the large opening. You need to move the left holddown to the right side of the opening, and only use the shear wall which is on the right side of the opening.

DaveAtkins

Hi DaveAtkins,

What if the opening is filled out with rigid area such as window wall? Can the wall be considered as diaphragm ?

And is there any manual or reference you would recommend me to look in regard of cold formed steel diaphragm design that you know of?

I appreciate for your response on this.

Thank you for your response. I was wondering what is the typical width of the stud wall for the residential building project. The reason for the 7.5m space between dead load anchor is to shim the frame as close as to the concrete column location where the deflection of concrete floor slab is minimum. I removed the dead load shim at the mid span because of concern of damage to the stud wall due to the concrete slab deflection. But I've seen stud wall system that have dead load shims evenly distributed along the perimeter of slab and they still work.

What is the typical concrete floor's edge deflection between the concrete column?

Can you do something like (using 16 or 18 ga strap):

Clipboard01_mf2wnw.jpg

you can have a fairly high uplift you have to deal with at the oval. There's a similar force at the top, too.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back