Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cold rolling of 17-4 PH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laishetti

Materials
Apr 19, 2023
IN
How much percentage of reduction can be done in cold rolling after double aging treatment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Overaged H1150M?
Not sure about rolling but we used to cold draw this material about 30%, which is a fair amount.
This material does not work harden much so fairly high reductions should be possible.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

That is good elong.
You can actually cheat and raise it a bit.
If you anneal, age at 1150F, re-anneal, age at 1400x4hr, and age at 1150x4hr you will get higher elongs.
The re-aging drives grain refinement, the finer grain material will have slightly less strength and more ductility.

Yes after annealing, we are doing aging treatment at 1400F for 2 hours and 1150F for 4 hours, and then only we are getting 16 to 18% elongation, so with this, how much percentage reduction can be given at one stage without further softening?

You will have to take fairly light bites in each pass, but this material does not work harden much so you should be able to take a fair number of passes before re-HT.
If you want to get real fancy when you go back to HT you might try just doing the 1400+1150 aging treatment (without an anneal).
The anneal would help reduce grain size, but the aging alone may be enough to allow more cold-work.

Hello ED, Can we give a minimum 20% reduction at single stage? before heart treatment.
And also, I want to know that when combining the 1400 and 1150 treatments, which means heating to 1400 and soaking for 2 hours, then letting the furnace cool to 1150 and soaking for 4 hours, then air-cooling to room temperature, we are not getting that property, whereas we get the normal treatment like 1450 soaking for 2 hours and then air cooling to room temperature and the heat to 1150 soaking for 4 hours, then air cooling to room temperature, What might be the reason for this?

There are two ways to approach the rolling.
Take as much reduction as you can in one pass and then HT,
or take a series of lighter passes until you reach the limit and then HT.
The second option will give you greater reduction between HT.
With this alloy you must cool to RT between the 1400-1450 and the 1150.
I was just writing it poorly.
Then you need to HT it would either be anneal, 1400, 1150; or maybe just the 1400, 1150.
In wire work I have seen this trick used.
I'll add that the reason that you want to use the 1400 + 1150 overaged condition is that this is the only way assure good ductility.
As annealed strength and ductility of 17-4 can be highly variable.

Sorry, no experience there.
I was always buying sheet or rod to convert into other products.
But it was coming from the major SS mills here in the US so I always presumed that the practices were very similar to other SS grades.

Limited cold bending can be performed on 17-4 PH Stainless steel in Condition A. For more severe cold working, the material may be
heat treated to Conditions H 1100, H 1150 or H 1150-M. This will help
prevent possible cracking. Stress corrosion resistance is improved by
re-aging at the precipitation-hardening temperature after cold working. Where Condition A (Solution Annealed, also referred to as solution heat
treated or solution treated) Material for fabrication and precipitation
heat treatment by the user. If severe cold forming is required
Condition H 1150, H 1150-D or H 1150-M is to be used instead
of Condition A.

Additional info can be found here:

1. 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back