Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collapse of part of 5th floor of Huston Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope9010

Structural
Sep 12, 2013
US
Has anyone heard about a reported partial collapse of the 5th floor of a precast double tee garage in Houston, Texas, in June? If so, does anyone know anything about it, like how old the garage was and whether corrosion was in any way a contributing factor? If not, what was the cause? Any investigation/report on it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this going to be Elliot Lake mall all over again?

MAC_22_ELLIOT_LAKE_CAROUSEL01.jpg

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

It looks like hollow core, not precast double tee. Right? Elliott Lake was also hollow core. Maybe this is a good thing to stay away from for garages. Still, I would like to know what the cause of the collapse was.

Here is photo I copied off the link I posted above (see attached).

It is hard to tell:
1. An "L" shaped spandrel failure? - the photo shows a spandrel (on the left) still there.
2. An interior IT beam corbel failure? A possibility but nothing in the photo about it.
3. A flexural member failure? most failures are connection failures.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4a5a060f-920a-4708-8233-2552c4fbe94e&file=Houston_Parking_Gar_collapse.jpg
I live in houston and through the grapevine I heard that the L-spandrel was never properly attached to the column. The angles were there they were just never welded together. So for the last 20 or so years it was simply being held by friction.

ddudley - Very interesting. I thought from looking at the pictures that I found on the internet, that the spandrel had given way. What you say seems to indicate that may have been the case. Kind of scary that they could forget to complete the angle connections with the weld. Have you heard any other possible cause, such as corrosion?

In Missouri they salt the bridges to death. You can see streams of rust.

In the KHOU pictures I don't see a streak of rust anywhere. Kudos to the guys who put in the next level down. Top level guys - was it a Friday before a three day weekend?

As JAE said, most likely a connection defect, or a missing connection. These things have to be tied together. We get at least one report a year of a precast parking structure collapse. Lessons are learned, by those who want to listen, but then the institutional memory is lost.

The connection did not fail it was just never connected. Don't have to worry about deicing salts in Houston. On the rare occasion that it does freeze we just shut everything down.

So with the progressive expansion due to hot weather in the Houston area over the years, assuming the spandrel moved on the support when expanding, but did not when contracting, the spandrel just worked its way off the seat? Seems odd, but maybe, depending on the support restraints, vertical loads, and friction... Perhaps there is more vertical load in the winter to increase the frictional force? Still seems flakey...

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

I have read of a precast system of unusual design that stood up fine for many years and then suddenly the floor collapsed. The investigation indicated that the original design missed an issue that was critical because of the odd ball design. Some other floor structures that were built around the same time also collapsed. Corrosion was not at all an issue.

Lesson: Just because something has performed well over the years does not prove that it is safe and will continue to perform well, or does not need an inspection. If calculations to current Codes indicate a significant structural deficiency with respect to gravity or wind loads, it should most probably be brought up to current codes. Impossible to convince any architect of that though. I know the Houston collapse is a different issue, but it does bring this lesson to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back