Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Collapse strength, tensile strength, 13 3/8" API casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottoobright

Industrial
Sep 17, 2006
TH
I would like to calculate the collapse strength and tensile strength of an API casing which has been perforated over 16% of it's surface as per the following:

API 13 3/8", K-55, 54.5 PPF, Range 3, BTC. Perforated with 5/8" holes uniformly positioned across the length and circumference of the casing. See attached drawing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nottoobright;
First off, tensile strength is a material property that will not change from loss of material.

Here is a tip, I consider use of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Div 1 for guidance and use one of the design rules for openings in a shell (HINT UG-53).

Second tip, the formula for determining minimum thickness requires information such as hole pitch and spacing. The thickness for the casing will be determined based on area loss.

metengr
thanks for your reply. I have to try and keep it as simple as possible. I've had the following advise from a German friend who has worked in the oil screen business and is now retired. Unfortunately he's on a motorbike tour of Europe so his access to information is limited. Here's what he had to say:

Take API collapse value for equivalent carbon steel casing from standard 5B/5CT. Reduce by 20% due to perforation of base pipe. Screen jacket will not be considered!
For tensile same applies. Take value from API list and reduce by 20%

Would you or anyone else have access to these values of collapse resistance and tensile strength for API seamless casings 13 3/8", 54.5 PPF in K/J-55 material? I've got the 5B and 5CT but these values are not mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back