Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

color change of BN based coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8

Materials
Jul 21, 2008
SE
Is it possible to change the color of ceramic coatings (boron nitride based)??

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.[Albert Einstein]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am using BN hardcoat at the moment. I dont have any problems with the coatings infact. its just that i i have two products with the same coating , and i want to change the color just for visual convenience. I know they have bn lubricoat brand , but i am not sure how different is that from bn hardcoat. i have bn hard coat material safety data sheet, (bn activ,potassium silicate as binder, water as carrier, some acrylics, etc) but bn lubricoat is different .

So the problem here is that i want to use the same coating without its chemcial compostion change, but with different color.i read somewhere i can use food colors? if i do will it change the behaviour of the coating. ? ( i have called zyp , they were not of any help , they are a bit secretive about their coatings chemcial behaviours etc)

I hate to hear that about ZYP as they have been quite helpful over time.

Are you talking quanity or a one shot effort?

What temperature are BN coatings going to see?

It has been a long time since I worked with food colorings so I don't know what's, what any more. As you say the known composition has some acrylics in it I would get some acrylic tint from an art supply store and try a skosh. I would stay with the lighter colors, just enough tint to differentiate the two compositions.

Acrylic Tint sounds good. I can try that.

I will try in the lab first before recommending to our sub supplier. They do the paint job for us on series production level.

About temperatures. The coating is applied on the product , then dried at 40C for two hours. When its used in the field , it reaches above 1000C within two minutes. It is not used for many thermal cycles. So abrasion is not the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back