Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Colour of Below-the-Hook Lifting Devices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM_mech

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2020
CA
I could have sworn that some standard or other required that Below-the-Hook Devices be yellow.

But I just looked in ASME B30.20 and ASME BTH-1 and can't find any reference to colour...

Is there really no colour requirement for below-the-hook devices?

Most of them are, in fact, yellow. So where does that come from?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't know that there was a requirement for it, but any hoists, cranes, or whatever I spec that the coating shall be 'Safety Yellow' with the capacity in 'Black', 6" high letters... always done it, and don't know why, but it makes sense.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

A quick google search pulls up spreader bars in various colors- mainly, different shades of yellow, but also blue, red, etc.
And it looks like crane hooks come in colors of the rainbow. Black is common, stripy is common.

I wouldn't use 'stripy' if that is striped colours... almost reminds me of 'razzle-dazzle' camoflage and you want things to be noticeable. I was hoping that someone would say there was a colour and marking standard, for my own information.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks all--appreciate the responses. The OSHA thing is a good justification for yellow in lieu of anything prescriptive.

Thanks... didn't know. I have an OSHA reference to add to my notes...

-Dik

That OSHA statement is for hazard identification, and has nothing to do with rigging.

There is no standard. Yellow is for sure the most common color, but companies make lifting devices in every color of the rainbow. I've seen hi viz green, red, black, white, blue, etc etc.

Dik said:
I wouldn't use 'stripy' if that is striped colours... almost reminds me of 'razzle-dazzle' camoflage and you want things to be noticeable. I was hoping that someone would say there was a colour and marking standard, for my own information.

I frequently see them red with white reflective tape stripes, or black with red/white reflective tape. Generally I think they are a visibility an improvement, not 'camoflage;.

Yellow is one of the easiest recognisable colours... one year out moose hunting, one of the group had a camo coloured zippo lighter... he put it down and that's the last anyone saw of it. not a good colour for hoists, either...

-Dik

Stainless with an industrial sized label maker (sticker letters) is sometimes used if paint isn't an option due to the potential for contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back