Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeerj

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2014
SY
Hi

What is cold welding??

How can we repair on service large petroleum tank?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Petroleum tanks are typically made of steel, a ferrous metal. It will not work on ferrous metal.

At this point, cold welding is more a scientific curiosity than an industry practice.

It is done in laboratories not in the field where the field conditions will affect the process.

There is a material sold as "Cold Welding" compound, which is just an epoxy glue, and not to be confused with actual welding processes.

There is no product that can be used to repair a petroleum that while the tank is in service.

What problem are you having.

The problem is that we have large petroleum tanks ( 15000 -50000 ) cubic meter capacity

some tanks'shells are damaged ( corrosion , bullets ...) ,the tanks are in service and we have to repair the damaged shell !!!!!

I read about a material ( paste ) that can be but on the hole and it fill the hole..I don't know where or how to get it

and the more important is it approved according to the standards

The "cold welding" compound is this: It's just a generic epoxy glue, and isn't intended for tanks or anything. The reason I mentioned it is in the event the name was causing confusion. You'd likely have similar products of different brands available locally.

One temporary patch I've heard of for bullet holes is to take a self-tapping screw the right size, put a rubber washer on it, and put it in the hole. That assumes you don't have a floating roof seal going past the area. I haven't tried this myself, so no guarantees as to effectiveness. For a fuel tank, you'd want to make sure the washer was compatible with the product.

The best solution to repair damaged shell material is to use a butt welded patch plate per API 653. If the shell is thin enough, it may be possible to use a lap welded patch plate also listed in API 653.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back