Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Base plate weld (Ordinary moment frame) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I generally just use fillet welds... on one side of the web and on the outside of the flange for one flange and on the inside of the flange for the other so the welds can be applied without turning the column over... for real heavy loads, I often use PJP welds for the flanges and a fillet weld both sides of the web.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Your weld with backing would look something like this:
weld_with_backing_tcvggv.jpg

Note, due to the grind flush requirement both welds would have to be made from the outside (Unless you want to bust a dremel out to grind in the web area).

Your weld with back gouging would look something like this:
weld_w_backgouge_c7pm9o.jpg

Where the green weld is made first, then back gouged and the purple weld is then made.

Each weld should perform equally well. Note that backing would need to be removed unless it meets the requirements of AISC 341-16 D2.6
Each fabricator would probably have their own preference as to which one they would want to do.

Also note there is no requirement for these welds to be CJP for an ordinary moment frame, so the most economical would be to use fillet welds as noted by dik.

Thanks for identifying in the OP this is a column being welded to a base plate.

What (and who) is driving the "grind flush" requirement?

I'm assuming (guessing) this is a steel structure.
Indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, corrosion resistance probably should require continuous welds. Caulking or other types of sealing is probably wishful thinking for a service life of more that a couple of years.

How thick is the base plate? Where are the anchor bolts located in the base plate?
What is the loading, and what are calculated or code strength requirements?

I don't have my copy of AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code for Steel at home, but I'm thinking there may be some most useful guidance and practical details there.

Mr. dauwerda has nailed the thread.. and a pink star for his details. However, in case of bearing type base plates ( with small eccentricity), the proposed detail is conservative and the normal practice for small ecc. base plates, double fillet welding..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back