Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

column effective length ETABS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i'm trying to model a column that runs from the ground floor up to the 2nd floor without connecting to the 1st floor slab, that is length as one column should be double that of the other column and therfore its effective length is consequently larger than other coulmn. But, it seems to me that ETABS doesn't allow one column to run up 2 stories without breaking them up into two columns at syory levels. Can anyone help me with this?

You can do it, if you draw column on plan at Story1 and Story2 then it will put a node in the middle. If you draw the column in 3-d view you will be able to draw the column which doesn't insert a node at the intermediate story.

It's automeshing the column at the storey level during the calculation process.

Under Assign menu, remove automeshing for the frame member (when drawn full height), in particular the "mesh at visible gridlines". ETABS assumes a gridline is the same as a storey plane.

Can you manually remove/delete the node from the joint table?

Hi may be this help.
Draw the column in the two floors. Delete column in the first floor. Take the bottom joint of the column in the second floor, and select ALING/JOINT/FRAMES/EDGE option and put the level ground in the Z coordinate and then apply (normally 0-zero- is the level of the ground floor). Now, the column length is from ground to second floor. Be carefull with the K factor for column in both directions 2 and 3 local axes (slender column).

Trenno said:
It's automeshing the column at the storey level during the calculation process.
Under Assign menu, remove automeshing for the frame member (when drawn full height), in particular the "mesh at visible gridlines". ETABS assumes a gridline is the same as a storey plane.

Trenno are you from Milan, Italy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back