Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Error RAM Modeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronmcdevitt

Structural
Jan 14, 2013
US
I am learning RAM Structural System on the job, and am currently modeling a 3 story building for gravity loads. Due to the ridiculously un-intuitive modeling user interface, I modeled the floors in CAD and imported the first 2 floors so far. Floor one has no problems, but floor 2 gives a warning for every single column, stating that the columns were found without supports. I suspect that they are being modeled all the way to the ground level, but after about an hour of searching the help manual, internet, menus and toolbars, I cannot find how to specify base of column/column support. Any help?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is that your second floor columns do not align with the first floor columns below. In RAM Structural System, the columns at the second elevated level start at the first elevated level. Look at the 3-D view (but very small misalignment may not be visible). I am not certain, but RAM might not allow transfer girders with gravity framing.

I checked alignment first thing. The locations are exactly the same (RAM even leaves the "align" button grayed out), and the 3D model looks correct.

Check the 3D view. if there is a problem in the story data, like the middle story has no columns on it, then you'll see a gap in the column stacks. In that case you might just need to revise the story data.

Also check the options - show property - column and wall elevations to see if things are elevated or shortened. They should not be for elements imported from dxf but worth checking. There is a similar tool for viewing foundation elevations. I only mention that because raising or lowering a foundation is the only way to adjust the base elevation of a column up or down from 0.

Ram has always been fine at modeling and designing transfer girders, so long as a column above aligns with the beam below.

More on dxf best practices here:

Otherwise send us the file. You can drop the file onto our ftp site below, then reply with the specific File Name. Please note, the ftp site is an open drop box, anyone can drop or paste files there but you cannot see the contents.

ftp://ftp.bentley.com/pub/incoming/

Well, I still don't know why the warnings were showing up, but if I close the program and reopen it, they are gone. I guess maybe it's just one of those pesky bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back