Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

column k value 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wag2483

Structural
Oct 28, 2009
US
Attached is a PE sample problem. The answer is B, not following why. All else equal wouldn't the pin/brace direction have k=1.0, while the pin/moment direction has k=0.7. Thus column capacity is less in the brace (north-south) direction and will govern?
PXL_20240809_210826108_3_mvhlbp.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And rightly so, GA should be 10 that is the recommended value for pinned support. I dont know of any engineer who would not use 10. I can post numerous other examples of this but you guys can easily google sample calculation.

Sorry for the delayed response. I only had cell phone internet access for the last couple of days.

If you and OldDawg would've said something like "K typically doesn't exceed 2" then I would've had no issue.

From posts above, it seems like both of you think "K is 2.0" based on the third post entry (f). At best, that's misleading, and the OP is apparently somewhat of a new guy.

This caught my attention mostly because I am aware of a reputable firm that thinks K = 2 is an upper limit that can always be used. (I know that's not what you said.) Somehow that utterly wrong and dangerous idea permeated the firm. After amplifications are included in the effective length method, K can be way above 2.

Anyway, enough of that. Dead horse has been beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back