Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Column laps and ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

blihpandgeorge

Structural
Nov 5, 2012
AU
Does anyone know of a requirement for tie(fitment) spacings in lap zones in columns? AS3600 discusses tie spacings generally, and also when using high strength concrete and if columns are stock (Lu<5D), but i cant find anything on lap zones.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it may be in section 13, and says minimum 3 ties sets at laps. Also additional tie sets were bar cranks occur. It's not current to AS3600-2018 but the CIA handbook Z6 is a good reference.

Does your question come from whether ties at half centres are required over lap regions.

yes, the question is whether ties at half centres are required over lap regions

i was working up some new details to address the requirements of 10.7.4.3 (ii) (b) for Lu<5D and when i redrew the detail i realised there didnt appear a 'need' for ties at half centres

yes, i noticed that as well. I worked for a few companies where laps at half centres was the adopted procedure. I remember seeing it written somewhere a long time ago, may have been the 2001 or 2009 code or possibly even the ACI code. But now I adopt the Z6 detailing of minimum 3 and 2 additional at bar cranks.

do u agree with the Lu/5*D ties requirements. This was previously a detail for IMRF requirement (mu=3) but has made it's way into the code for all columns, irrespective of whether mu=1 has been adopted

i can see the logic that short/stocky columns with L<5D will attract load and need additional ductility to deal with the load they will attract with their stiffness. i can only assume this is the code writers response to seismic design in Aus is poor, and detailing is done worse. i would rather this approach of a blanket rule, rather than having to do a more detailed analysis to demonstrate the amount of confinment reo needed to give a ductile connection.

i have raised this L<5D requirement a few times, including with some design software companies, and it is not well known about.

Yeah, I used RCC and it won't use this provision unless IMRF is checked. I don't mind the rule, but would rather the provision be:

if ( Lu < 5*D.x) then max_spacing = 0.5*D.x
if ( Lu < 5*D.y) then max_spacing = 0.5*D.y

And not:

if ( Lu < 5*D.x) then max_spacing = 0.5*D.y

i see where you are coming from but for a typical blade columns of say 1000x300, this would give ties at 500cts which wont do much for confinment. given the smallest realistic typical 0column width is around the 200-250 dimension this sets ties at 100-125 where confinement would be good

i was under the impressions RCC was updating their software to pick this up without needing to tick the IMRF box - that was my understanding over 12 months ago from some correspondence i saw but i havent actually checked it

Yeah, but the 1000x300 column we are set to the maximum spacing of 300 centres. My understanding is that this is more a column shear requirement than a core confinement requirement (I could be wrong). Will really be anticipating the commentary for this. I know this wasn't part of your original question but I didn't get any responses to my thread so thanks for the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back