Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Strengthening for canopy structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

civeng80

Structural
Dec 21, 2007
AU
I need to cantilever a canopy about 4m long from the end of a portal frame building and this would then be off a column (460UB 57) in the weak axis direction. Anyone have any ideas how to strengthen the column to take the moment due to the cantilever?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a frame in the weak direction or the strong direction only?
You could weld a plate from flange to flange on both sides creating a box shape.

or you could place a beam behind the cantilever beam spanning across the end bay between the end and second from end portal columns. Considering the lack of stiffness of the portal about its weak axis, most of the moment would be transfered into this member.

Thanks parrot77 and apsix thats what I have in mind doing. Just one little problem though, there is a stiffener between the flanges on the column where the main rafter joins on the column so Im wondering how I can pass the beam thru the stiffener or maybe cut the stiffener off then trim it around the welded beam. I know its a minor detail but its annoying me.

Thanks!

Why not just us a channel either side bolted to the faces of the columns following parrot77s idea. Minimum site work.

Another idea is to use an L shaped frame which would resolve the reaction into a horizontal push and pull which is easier to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back