Column support

Status
Not open for further replies.

gh2130

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2016
SA
Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to Staad and wonder if I am right to consider a column fixed to foundation with anchor bolts as a FIXED SUPPORT. I remember someone referring such as a PINNED SUPPORT but not sure.

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not a STAAD question but a structural modeling question that must be resolved regardless of the brand of software you are using or even if you are going to do hand calculations. It's a question that comes up over and over. I didn't look, but I suspect you can find it discussed here. Anyway, my feeling is that if you have four bolts outside of the column shape then it is fixed. Two bolts inside, then pinned. Yes, of course, we all know there is no such thing as totally fixed or totally pinned. Also, I've seen quite often people giving reactions for columns that I would consider fixed only forces and no moments. I think one reason they do this is just to simplify the reactions table on their drawings. That's a whole other discussion. If you want to generate more buzz about this topic I suggest reposting in a different forum like "Structural engineering other technical topics".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back