Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining "Arrangements" with "Overriding Assembly Constraints"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKMac

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2012
GB
I have a sub-assembly which is handed by reassembling the same components in another form. We have therefore always used arrangements to provide a top level assembly with both the left and right hand versions as applicable. No problem there.

A different, non-handed sub assembly has a pair of nuts which run along a threaded bar. They are designed to clamp either side of a component at the top level assembly. Normally in this instance I use "override assembly constraints" on those two nuts to allow them to be positioned with touch align to each side of the face I want them to clamp to at the top level, as the face can be anywhere along the length of the thread. Again, no issues.

However, I now want to use these two features on one sub assembly model. I can import the handed model and arrange to either left hand or right hand, but the minute I apply the "override default constraints" command, the assembly defaults back to the default arrangement. It doesn't seem that I can over-ride assembly constraints in any version of arrangements other than the default.

Is there something I'm missing, or an alternate way of doing this? We're in the process of upgrading from NX8 to NX12, but I can replicate the same issue in both. I've uploaded basic screenshots to hopefully explain what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=81436fc6-febb-4c3e-9e99-9bf5536b1867&file=ArrangementsVsOverrideConstraints.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, agreed, and this is what I've done for the LH and RH arrangements.

The nuts that I "override" cannot be constrained within the arrangement, their position is dependent upon the assembly that the sub assembly goes into. The nuts could be any position along a threaded length. This is why I, until now, have used override constraints for these nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back