Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command - /Link in CATIA ver-4.2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokeshAutomotive

Automotive
Dec 17, 2001
DE
Please tell me about the command /LINK in CATIA ver 4.2.4.
If we type this & press enter we get a window. Tell me about
imporatnce of this & how to use it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This window just gives you information about the links (from Draw models with the 3D geometry associated, or import model created in SOLIDE / CREATE / IMPORT). CATIA developpers say that it is not a function in itself. It was just done on a customer request (political developement). You should not work with this, but just visualize some information.
PS : there is a restriction when working with VPM : /link does not give any useful information at all.

/link or /links is used with auxview2 and solide when you work with the principle one part one model. ie You have the single parts (solide) in seperate models and when you require to make an assembly you bring them together as a session and create a drawing (GA) model in another model.
If in the future you need to change one or more of the single solid parts then the assembly drawing requires to be updated, If you where not the original creator or knowing and remembering all the models used in large assemblies from months previous would require to read bill of materials and search vast storage areas to rebuild the session etc. The /Links function list all models used to create the 2D drawing and gives the facitity to recall all models as passive ie rebuild the session. You could then drop the old/chnged models and open the new modified ones then in auxview2 run update, Then check the dimensions and views are modified apply new dims where required and file as a new or up issed part/assy.

Itrust this is of some help.

There doesn't seem to be any way of removing obsolete links from the list of links other than replacing the link with a different model. Is it possible to remove a link from the link list?

I have documentation that says that CATIA will automatically drop old links when a save is done, however I have not found this to be true. There is no way to drop old links. We have found the /link command to be very important when it comes to managing our models. We use VPM and when an existing part is versioned the link of the 3D to the 2D model is not automatically updated. The 2D will still be pointing to the previous version 3D solid. It is a nice thought that someone not quite familiar with the assembly can open the 3D models from the 2D /link window, but if proper link management has not been exercised, this is very unreliable. More than likely older versions of the solid will be opened. Further more it is very easy (and undesireable) to get multiple links to what appears to be the same solid model. This makes the /LINK window in large assemblies very combersome to work with. I am unable to go into too much depth on the /LINK subject in this forum due to the complexity of the function. However, I will say again that it is very important that sound /LINK management be exercised in a one part, one model practice.

How do I create a spring in Catia V4.2.2. I am looking for a spiral function to creat the axis and then sweep around it.

Jonni,

You can do axis line of a spring with
CURVE2 - HELIX command.

You need to have some 3D license (t.ex. SBD) activated to have HELIX command in CURVE2 menu. If only DRP license is
loaded HELIX do not appear on CURVE2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back