Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commercial Kitchen Exhaust-Make up system- Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdikardehi

Mechanical
May 31, 2009
AU
Hi All,

I am designing the exhaust of a commercial kitchen and I am thinking to makeup 80% of the exhaust requirement with evaporative cooler and the rest of that air to be provided from restaurant enclosure...want to run the evap unit in fan mode only during winter which is minimum of 0°C here

2 quick questions
- I need to have negative pressure inside the kitchen all the time. Shall I write a comment in my design saying that the evap unit can't be turned on when the exhaust is off or I need to provide some sort of controls for both fans? (I am looking for the cheapest option)
- To save energy both fans will be variable speed. How to control them in a way that it's negative inside all the time? Shall I trust the operator?

Regards,
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

interlink the fan from the swamp cooler to the exhaust fan , and leave the water pump on a manual control.
B.E

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Your concept seems about right.You would need to heat the make up air in winter.

I would put in a speed selector switch for the exhaust fan next to the hood so that they can turn down the speed to a preset low( to save energy when not cooking. This low would be decided by the minimum evap cooler air flow to maintain comfortable conditions within the kitchen when not cooking.The evap cooler fan would need to track this and slow down in tandem to keep the room negative and save heaps of energy in winter.The set points would need to be manually determined during the commissioning process.

I would size the makeup air for 95% And make sure the kitchen doors are tight. If you have a pass through, at 20% you will have a gale across the pass through counter.
B.E.

Thanks berkshire....good point

The kitchen has serving areas to the bars on 3 sides and I was thinking of using those openings for my air passage

I was thinking to suck some conditioned air from restaurant to make the conditions more comfortable for the kitchen staff specially during winter

Do you think it's not a good idea?

SAK9 seems to have the best idea.
Your concept seems about right. You would need to heat the make up air in winter.

Bear in mind that a kitchen with stoves, ovens, and other sources of heat, usually has the opposite problem, trying to get rid of the heat. So you may not have to re-heat that much.
B.E.

I have always been a proponent of a push pull ventilation system over kitchen cooking appliances. Such a system saves on A/C and heating of the rest of the restaurant and bar.

the only reason to put make up in kitchen is if you cannot avoid drafts in air transition. as you seem to do not have such problem at all, putting make up in kitchen instead of fully using restaurant air is pretty large waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back