Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Commercial kitchen hood and 1 hr rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSulli

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2024
US
I have a commercial kitchen hood that is extremely close to a 1hr rated ceiling and is against a rated wall. So much so, that the ceiling will not feasibly be able to be installed above the hood that is made of wood rafters and existing. I would like them to tie the ceiling into the hood but need a fire rating for the hood itself and cannot get that information from anyone. The Architect says the fire rated ceiling must go over the hood. Are there any ideas or options. I had looked into a pyroscat hood enclosure insulation, but that was denied also. [URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1726597166/tips/Kitchen_Hood_i5jigw.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You also need a RATED connection of ceiling and hood. if there isn't an off-the-shelf solution, you can ask a fire protection manufacturer (like Hilti) to create an EJ (engineering judgment with details). If they can't have them do that, you are out of luck if you want to be legal. YOU cannot create your own detail unless you are really comfortable to to have all liability and the AHJ probably will prevent you from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back