Commissioning of Field Instrumentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomosSmith

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2007
QA
Hello,

We have various field instrumentation, such as pressure, temperature and level switches/transmitters on our plant which have been installed but are yet to be tested and commissioned.

Can anyone give me a few bullet points for general items that should be checked during the testing and commissioning of instrumentation, so that I can draft some checklists for each type of instrument on our plant.

If anyone has any ready made checklists for instrumentation to share, this would be even better.

Thanks,
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Differentiate the calibration checkout (perhaps factory or shop) and field testing from commissioning. With the really hot digital transmitters these years most expect calibration certification from the manufacturer (a PO added cost). For such instruments the instrument is tested at the job site and not calibrated. It is normal for clients to witness the field testing at zero, 50% and 100% then back down. Others want to add 25% and 75%. The object is to check at the instrument and also see on the DCS screen (computer system etc.). A checkout sheet is required for approval signatures. This can be complicated in areas where nobody wants to accept any responsibility.

Some codes and standards could be helpful. API MPMS C5.7 may help with DP flow meters. ASTM E 516 may help thermal conductivity detection, ASTM E 644 RTDs, etc. The instrument manual should provide calibration and testing information.

Some clients and contractors develop inspection requirement tables. For general instruments, these tables may include a box checked if applicable and open if not. Complex stuff like analyzers require more complex testing procedures.

Visual inspection verifies complete and compliant installation regarding drawings, nameplates, wiring and tubing; some need electrical continuity testing, electrical seals for area classification, pressure testing (tubing or piping) and specification compliance etc.

hello, I need advice from you in a month are going to begin starting a MEGA TRAIN liquefaction of natural gas, I am an engineer specializing in process gas, and I am a beginner in the field of gas, what you propose to follow? and what do I need to know before the pre-comissioning? What should I prepare and what do you suggest not to miss? thank you for your answers.

CHIHEB Imed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back