Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common Discharge Pumps 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVEN01

Chemical
Feb 17, 2009
US
Hi,

I am analyzing a system that consists of three identical centrifugal pumps. I am debating weather the pumps are in parallel because the literature indicates that for a series of pumps to be considered in parallel they would have to share a common suction and a common discharge. This is not my case, the three pumps share the discharge. From the design point of view two pumps should be enough in order to move water from an open tank, however all of them are constantly running in order to keep the level in the tank constant even when the impeller size was increased. Now, I suspect the limiting factor in this case is the discharge pipe. Has anybody ever seen a problem like this, and if so, what’s the best way to try and approach a solution. I should add that we are about to expand our operations and thus we would like to try and add an extra pump, but find if it’s the line what’s causing the restriction.
I've attached a drawing for better undestanding.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Next step will be to get a pressure survey on the system, as Johnny suggested, and research the control valve so we can find an optimum point at which two pumps can handle the present flow without cavitating"

Seems to me you've already found it....each pump operates at 1500 gpm.

To increase this...increase your NPSH available and you'll be able to get more out of each pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back