Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common questions on Materials and Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAGE

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2003
TH
Dear Sir

I need your kind help to enlighten me from my (chronic) problems that I usually face with. I'm mechanical engineer so I'm not keen in material aspects in details really. Here are my questions

1. How can I compare material grade between different standards JIS, ASTM, DIN etc? Many times I found that there are several deviations on materials to be supplied from the contract or specification many times. How can I know whether or not it's ok or equivalent to the specified one? Do you have any suggestion or idea as to the interesting sources or textbooks?

2. Allowable stress (SE) for certain materials, I'm working in the piping analysis field. Though there are “SE” value specified in the ASME section II part D but some (peculiar) materials requested or specified by the OWNER are not listed in ASME section II part D. That's why my second question still occurs and comes out often. I used to try on ASTM manual books, looking for those standard specifications to search out the “SE” value for some materials but it normally seems futile. For example; One of the owners wants A588 “Standard specification for High-strength Low-Alloy Structure steel” to be used for stack construction subjected to 150 degree C or wants to use steel plate for pipe fabrication. It’s quite hard to find any information on the internet so I need some advices from you guys please.

Sorry for my quite stupid questions but urgently need your kind help indeed.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TAGE

1. How can I compare material grade between different standards JIS, ASTM, DIN etc? Many times I found that there are several deviations on materials to be supplied from the contract or specification many times. How can I know whether or not it's ok or equivalent to the specified one? Do you have any suggestion or idea as to the interesting sources or textbooks?

Reply 1);
This might be of interest

Reply 2)
Determination of allowable stress values is based on requirements of the particular code of construction. This information is normally not available on the internet for free. You, as a designer, must decide or determine the applicable code of construction and select the material (s) of construction (MOC) from that code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back