Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

communication SW -T-cam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aart2

Industrial
Jun 26, 2002
NL
Hello, my name is Aart and I've got a question about using information from SW files to use on T-CAM software. This is a 2D CAM application that we use for making contours.
This T-cam application can read *.IFF files and *.ISO files.
I can't figure out how to export contour information from SW directly to T-CAM.
I hope someone can give me some tips on how to find a solution for this problem,
Aart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can T-CAM open any other file types? You may need to export the geometry to some intermediate type (iges, step, sat, ...). Do you have any other modeling/drafting sofware? What software did you use before that would save the geometry to one of these types? DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

thank you for answering my question DSI,
The problem is that T-CAM used to work with IBM CAD, a less sophisticated sister of CATIA. T-CAM(release 7.0) is also an old application and doesn't work with other file formats than the ones I've mentioned. (There is an option to read IGES files, but it simply doesn't wok. In case of trying to import an IGES file, you just get stuck in a "dead-end street" in which you don't get any feedbck anymore from T-CAM.
This is why I've popped the question. The solution I want to try is to find a way in which I can save IFF or ISO files in Solid Works, but I don't know how?
I hope you've got some ideas for me,
thank you very much, first I will go home and celebrate the week-end, nice week-end t you too,
Aart

Well, I don't think that you can save to an IFF or ISO file directly from SW. What version of SW are you using? The latest version has several options when saving IGES files. Have you played around with all of the options? I do not see anything that directly relates to Catia or T-CAM, but one of the other trimmed surface representations may work.

You may want to check with your VAR as well. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

thank you for trying to help me, but it doesn't work. Although T-CAM has an option to read IGES files, this function isn't operational in our version of T-CAM. So it's of no use to try all kinds of options in saving IGES files.
By the way: what is VAR??
thanks anyway,
Aart

Scott Said:
>Value Added Reseller----> VAR
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This are the people that you buy your CAD system from.

That is a strange way to spell OXYMORONS. ;-) Just kidding, our VAR has been very helpful from day one.

Aaaaany way. Aart, what is the layout of the two file formats you need? What do you see if you open them with Notebook? If they are text files then there should be some way to get this from one of the several text format files which can be exported from Sworks. We are having great luck using Excel to move data.

Crashj 'who needs lotsa help' Johnson

Thank you SnowCrash, the file formats are indeed comprehendable text files. This a good sign. I will ask someone to figure out a way to convert the data for me, again: thanks a lot,
Aart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back