Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commutating reactance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NNG

Electrical
Nov 18, 2002
US
Please, I need clear explanation of this term : "commutating reactance". I've walked through some sources but could not fine a good one.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is my problem;
"The Customer spec calls for Harmonic Analysis of input current for operation at 50%, 75%, 100% output current at 60Hz and 5% commutating reactance".
With the first part of this item is not a problem, but the second part "5% commutating reactance" is odd!
How this term is practical? From my experience it is more theoretical explanation of the principle rectification regarding SCR front-end of the VFD’s than as a practical application.
If you used a value of the commutating reactance in Harmonic Study, please, share with me how.

There is a possibility to model the the SCR converter with a commutating reactance as a line inductor on the AC side.

Accordingly with manufacturers of commonly use 12-pulse converstion circuits, the expected input current distortion (ITHD) with 5% commutating reactance on the line side could be as follow:

- Voltage source Inverter........8%
- Current source Inverter.......15%

Check if the enclose site could help with ideas to model your circuit.

Good luck.

Suggestion: Visit
for .5 P.U. commutating reactance
for: "The machine side converter normally operates in the inversion mode. Since the polarity of the machine voltage must be instantaneously positive as the current flows into the motor to commutate the bridge thyristors, the synchronous machine must operate at a sufficiently leading power factor to provide the voltseconds necessary to overcome the internal reactance opposing the transfer of
current from phase to phase (commutating reactance)."

Comment on the previous posting: It is good to know. The term is also defined in IEEE Std 100 "Dictionary" under several entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back