Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compaction of Open Graded Fills 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickwee

Geotechnical
May 2, 2001
US
Frequently, I run into situations on job sites where the contractor wants to place open graded stone (such as #57 Stone) in large, dumped lifts with no compactive efforts. Typically, this is behind cast-in-place retaining walls. The comment that I have heard over and over is that "#57 stone is a 'self-compacting' item." This, of course, is not true, and I get a lot of resistance from contractors when I tell them that compaction in lifts is required. They don't want to hear that settlement of open-graded stone can be significant if 'dump-filled' in thick (4'+) lifts.

Which leads me to my question. Are there any available papers or letters that other professionals may have published on this subject? The next time I hear that #57 is 'self-compacting' it would be nice to have something that I can use as a reference, other than common sense.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you run a max-min density test in the lab and figure out the potential volume change when stone goes from the uncompacted state to fully-compacted state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back