Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaction questions - newbie 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahrain73

Civil/Environmental
Mar 22, 2018
BH
A very newbie question regarding compaction.

Basically we are doing a foundation for 5 floor building with basement. Piling was done now we are doing the pile caps and tie beams. Before we do the raft slab we have done the compaction for the tie beam and pile caps. The engineer on site stopped us as they said that compaction should be done for the whole area at once. If not the compaction of the raft slab can damage the integrity of the already compacted soil for tie beams and pile caps.

Would you agree with this ?

If so is there any standard or standard operating procedures you can refer me to stating the above ?

Thanks all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you upload a mark up showing dimensions, the thickness of fill and layout of the pile caps and ground beams. You will get much better responses.

My question is why any compaction other than to make a place to work. Aren't the piling supposed to do he job to by pass weak soil? Sounds like the "engineer" is crazy. Why put load on top of the weak stuff? Not usable for support?

OG - that was my next question, is it just to create a smooth surface to pour concrete against.... who cares what happens to the material below after 7 days or what ever strength you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back