Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaction Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

josewoods

Civil/Environmental
Sep 3, 2003
PR
Need to know if there's any ASSHTO spec. that specifies the places where the compaction test should or shouldn't be taken...My case is that i have an inspector who wants to take a compaction test near a curb, where i am sure it won't get 100% as required since the roller is to big

thanks....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Josewoods - you say your big compactor won't get near the kerb? Well, perhaps, the inspector is trying to tell you that you can't always do the job with a big compactor. On small jobs and in corners/other tough locations, you might have to go to small tag-alongs, or jumping jacks, etc.

I assume that the 100% is standard proctor and this shouldn't be too onerous to achieve with small equipment so long as you keep your lifts down in thickness.

Also - why was it 100%; is this a landscaping area (median) or for future loading?

As indicated, if you make the attempt to do the work to achieve the requisite goal and are not trying to just get out of it, your inspector, with judgment as to the severity of the problem, might just make the edge compaction go away.

[cheers]

The reason I'm asking the question is because somebody told that there was an ASSHTO spec that forbids for compaction tests to be taken less than 2 feet from curbs...

Is this true or not?????

Sorry, I've never seen it in AASHTO - maybe in some state/province or local specs????????? I'll try to look though.
[cheers]

Josewoods - just got done doing a search on AASHTO Compaction Test Locations on . Ran across the following site:

In it, section 12.4.3, they want 20% of the random compaction test locations on aggregate base courses near kerbs, manholes, etc to be within one foot!

Not AASHTO - but a spec that clearly wants the test location near the kerb.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back