Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compactor load on retaining wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstruct

Structural
May 14, 2023
PK
I am designing (structure) an RCC cast in place storm water drain running along the road. They are going to use a 12tons (6tons static + 6tons centrifugal) compactor for compaction of road layers. I haven't seen any ACI provision which talks about method of inclusion of compactor load. From one of the threads on this forum I came to know about "CANADIAN FOUNDATION ENGINEERING MANUAL" which gives a method to include compactor load for retaining wall design. My questions are:

1. My retaining wall is 6" thick and 2-3 ft high, as per calculations (from Canadian manual) it is safe to withstand lateral pressure due to compactor but is it practically safe? 6inch seems way less for a 12tons compactor. Can this load specially vibration cause my wall to fail or induce any crack etc? Am I missing anything?
2. How do you estimate surcharge load in "load/unite area" due to vehicles acting on retaining walls?
2. Do you include such compactor's load for your wall design?

Thanks in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9d976d0b-4b3a-4737-bbf8-6316a7aaf93e&file=LATERAL_LOAD_DUE_TO_COMPACTOR.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My past experience , if the fill height greater than 1.0 m , the impact is negligible. You may follow CANADIAN FOUNDATION ENGINEERING MANUAL as you wish . Pls look to the local design requirements which could specify minimum loads .

the following CALTRANS specification ,

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=84798eb7-958e-43b4-8469-119fcf3a1cce&file=SECTION_6_-_CULVERTS.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back