Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company changing name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjz313

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2002
US
The company I'm working for is changing their name. And all documentation needs to be changed accordingly. My question is "Do I keep the revision history for traceability in the revision block on the new reformatted drawings or drop the old rev(s) and retain only the current revision?
Is there a standard that covers this?
I would appreciate any help on this matter.
Thanks
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the only change being made to the drawing is a change to the company name and all other information remains the same (including the company CAGE code) then it sounds like they will simply fall under the provisions for drawings redrawn without chage as defined in ASME Y14.35M-1997, "Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Documents" defined as follows:

4.3 Redrawn Drawings
Depending on the circumstances, drawings may be redrawn either with or without change and shall include the original date and contract number as applicable.

4.3.2 Redrawn Drawing Without Change.
When a drawing, or a sheet of a drawing, is to be replaced because of loss, destruction, or degradation due to age, it may be redrawn without change. The replacement shall duplicate the requirements of the old original which is being replaced. The names of the individuals whose signatures appear in the Title block of the old original
and revision record, if retained, are entered on the new
original. The notation REDRAWN WITHOUT CHANGE with the signature of those who prepared the replacement and date shall be entered in the Revision History block. The advancement of the revision letter is not required.

Hope this helps out.

GDT GUY

I am not familiar with the Standards regarding this subject, but, we have always made the new drawing Revision A (or 1) with Description of the revision as "Redrawn from drawing ABC-123, Revision F (or 6).

Dinger2
If you follow you example of making a new drawing I hope you keep the old drawing for at least 10 years. Service parts sometimes required old revision drawing and liability suits sometimes hang on what is on the print.

Bill

Keep all revs and change the company name on the dwgs as you update them. Keeping the history could only benefit you and your company.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 2005 SP0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back