Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company Logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcharles

Mechanical
May 14, 2001
GB
I have a company logo in a few formats i.e. TIF, JPEG, GIF and would like his logo to appear on my drawing border, with it eventually being plotted out onto a working drawing. Could anyone be as kind to tell me the best way to do this as I do not really want to draw the logo out as it is quite complicated.

Thnaking you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Um, good one.
If you have AutoCAD v14 you can bring it in as an image then DXF it out. Then DXF it into the drawing format.

You need to get the DXF or IGES. This would make things easier

Getting the logo into 2D IGES was the key for me. Once in this format, while in a drawing or format file, you can select Create>Symbol>Definition>Define. This will bring up the Symbol dialog where you can specify a bunch of things about the symbol you are creating/importing (IE text, scale, size, placement origin, etc). I suggest doing a few trials with it before you do anything with your final logo. Don't forget to use the Write command in the Symbol menu to save the symbol (in the current directory) for use later.

To retrieve an existing symbol, use Create>Symbol>Instance and select Retrieve in the resulting dialog. If you have the config option PRO_SYMBOL_DIR set, it will default to the directory you have already set up.

Keep in mind that symbols in ProE are like 'cells' or other placeable graphics (clipart) - once they are properly defined, they are very useful for repeating the same graphic over and over (charts, graphs, or whatever silly sales guys want on prints).

Recneps

I want to create 3d company logo's in pro/E 2001 but because of the complexity of the logo my system craches every time.I've tried dxf-iges an even text and recreating it! None of those work even a bit! Are there any techniques to do it anyway?

With Pro/E 2001 you can insert a bitmap directly onto the drawing.

Select insert - object - bitmap image - from file and you can select a bitmap image and put it anywhere on the drawing as well as rescale it.

It you are converting a raster file (bitmap- TIF, JPG, BMP) to vector (dxf, IGES, etc.)you have to be real careful about how the conversion is done. Many converters will not make true curves or arcs. This leads to hundreds of small straight lines that represent arcs or curves. This leads to sections that are vitrually unuseable in sketcher if with the accuracy set really high. After I converted our companies logo to vector I used Corel Draw to correct much of this making the dxf file easy to work with. (Note - it wasn't fun - but it worked well)

Regards,
Jeff Zemsky
Plug Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back