Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Comparaison with AutoPIPE 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the AUTOPIPE PLUS it is comparable to CEASARll, and has a very good backup regarding the theory and tutorials.Par example the flanges ANSI check is much simpler than in CEASARll.The price is lower as well.

I would recomend you to evaluate the main softwares available, looking for the main issues you want on each of them. Most of the piping stress software are very easy to use, depending on the way you work or prefer to organize the job run. If you usually run big and complex systems some extra edition features like copy, mirror or rotate block operations would be very useful.

Several years ago we have performed this kind of evaluation ranking the main features we want on a piping software: nozzle loads check modules, flange check module, structure modeling, substructuring, CAD interface facilities, WRC-107/297 calculation and others, dynamic analysis features, capacity to run complex jobs with several non-linear restraints, technical support, input facilities and several others. You have to judge what things are more important considering the cost benefit (do not forget the annual update).

Nowadays we have been using CAESAR II and TRIFLEX.

chappy7 (Mechanical)

I agree with Medeiros (Mechanical), I also use FE-PIPE which is the Engineering Tool's to check your stress run.

Note: you should check on the court case RE Auto-Pipe 1989!!!

Leonard@thill.biz

The Autopipe was only ever popular with Autoplant users and then not very. Caesar II is very good and much more user friendly. Might also be worth looking at PSA5 and finding out which suits you best. E-mail alistair.richardson@cea-int.com and they will supply either programme for evaluation. They also sell the FE/pipe.

lsthill

Yeah, what exactly do you mean with " court case RE Autopipe 1989" ?

Is this something we should know ?

Why don't you provide a website or newspaper reference or just SOMETHING !!!!

MJC

Chappy7,

Let us know what you went for in the end and why so others may benefit.

Isthill,

I too would like more info on the 1989 court case

PW

The facility to model steel is nearly as important as the pipe stress for any serious work, esp seismic, on large pipe (of comparable section modulus to the supporting steel). The alternative is to assume all structure is rigid and dream.

Assuming that every support is rigid can and does produce some very conservative AND unconservative results especially for larger pipe sizes. You don't need to model every bit of steel but you need to model those that have stiffnesses less than say 8-10 times that of the pipe or which affect the load distribution especially between supports and equipment nozzles.

The only thing to do is to create a matrix comparison, between the programs you are considering. One pt is usage... CAESAR II is very widely used.

Another important consideration is support.

Both of these COADE does a good job with....

Regards,
XHPIPE

Lsthill, according the information in your link, this was NOT a court case as you originally claimed and your characterization as such appears to be nothing but a dishonest smear.

Because Autopipe, unlike some of the other piping stress programs, is approved for use in nuclear safety apps, they and the govt publish an updated list of known bugs which is a standard nuclear QA requirement. I have seen no evidence of a lawsuit or court case relating to that 1989 bug you linked to. Furthermore, I believe Autopipe is still widely used in DOE work...but anyone interested could probably verify that for themselves by contacting Bentley and request DOE references for Autopipe.

Also, seems a bit unfair to post questions about Autopipe or any other piping program on a Caesar II forum. Why not download demos of each program, ask for references and decide for yourself?

Stressed, I don't believe that Isthill posted a link stating it referred to a court case. I posted the link that referred to old problems with the AutoPipe program. The intent was to show that it is necessary to personally verify computer programs. One should be capable of simple hand calculation to verify a program's agreement with simple cases before using such programs on complex problems.

Stressed, if there was a court case resulting from problems with AutoPipe in the 1980s, are you party to a dishonest smear of Isthill?

Why wouldn't this forum be a good place to ask about comparable products with Caesar II? Many people in this forum have used both Caesar and AutoPipe. All I see here is Chappy7 asking for first hand experience from those who might be using the programs. Personally, I need to run a program for variety of projects before I can see the benefits/problems with the interface and algorithms.

The way I see it, these old problems (15 years ago) may have little to do with the AutoPipe program today. Yet they can be a good lesson for all of us to use in evaluation of new software packages.

CRG

There are a number of piping software products on the market and the choice comes down to what you want it for. The first commercially available piping product was ADLPIPE and as FLEISHER quite rightly points out there is now a new version ADLPIPE Pro.

ADLPIPE is one of the few pipe stress programs that has the full ASME III Class 1 analysis capability and has full NRC accreditation. In this area there are few that can compete, PSA5 comes close. Others like CAESAR II avoid this area of analysis and also don't do ASME III Class 2 very effectively either.

It will come down to the projects requirements and personal choice in the end.

pipeRus,
Another software program that has full ASME III Class 1 analysis capability is PSA5. It does not just "come close" as far as I believe is accredited also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back