Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparative look at Designspace flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherTap

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2006
US
Hello everyone, I work for a very successful company that uses Autodesk Mechanical Desktop (I know, pretty amazing, huh.) The necessary switch is being made to Inventor 10/11 very soon and we are trying to price up the perfect FEA/CFD package.

I've looked around a bit and I have some questions about ANSYS Designspace...

1) I've been told that the "best" flavor of Designspace is OPTIMA, which adds the very important Assembly capability with the FEA. It also has a more detailed meshing option. Can anyone show me a chart or something that compares OPTIMA to the rest of the ANSYS (and specifically Designspace) lineup? I have received documentation from ANSYS that shows Designspace compared to all the other high-end software from ANSYS (like Multiphysics and Mechanical, etc.) but the specs for "Designspace" are more than likely shown for the ENTRA version, which seem very minimal.

2) My company deals heavily with electronics and placing them into very places, so the biggest needs in a software package are: typical stress/strain due to ambient pressure on an assembly or tension/bearing forces on a part, steady-state heat transfer through enclosures and to the atmosphere along with being able to see the airflow through an electronics assembly, fatigue stress would be nice but is not high on the priority list.

3) The company is about to go through some interesting times since we will be migrating from MDT to Inventor (and subsequently from Inventor 10, which is installed on our servers, to Inventor 11) so I would like to have confidence that the ANSYS software is not bug-ridden and untested on Inventor 11, while still being functional on Inventor 10.

Thanks for your help and if there is somewhere that I should look instead, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know DesignSpace and its various versions are a thing of the past. These days you can only buy the Workbench with different capabilities (Designspace, professional, Structural...)

The product previously known as DesignSpace Optima is now just plain DesignSpace. You can check with the closest ANSYS Inc or ANSYS channel partner for further information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back